springtime blues

This week I found it strangely a little difficult to motivate myself. It was one of those weeks where having Omuzannyo was actually exactly what I needed - if I hadn't had my goal of 80, I have a feeling I would've done a lot less work. But thankfully that little number pushed me on and I put in the time.

(Incidentally, I have no idea why my motivation slumped this week - I think it's something about being tired after Day in Africa and the realization of a whole bunch of other things I need to do before the end of the semester. That, plus a little bit of wanting to be outside when possible, equates to the kind of springtime blues I feel is pretty typical within a university setting!)

Here's the outline of the week:
Monday: Lesson with Simon, 100 Quizlet words
Tuesday: 15 minutes watching news videos, 30 minutes lesson work
Wednesday: 100 Quizlet words, 30 minutes lesson work
Thursday: 15 minutes deep listening, 1 newspaper translation, 100 Quizlet words
Friday: Lesson with Simon
Saturday: Extensive texting with a friend, read 1 newspaper article
Sunday: 15 minutes watching news videos, 30 minutes lesson work, created one new web page, 1 newspaper translation, 1 hour radio, 100 Quizlet words

I wouldn't say I should win any awards with my efforts this week (clearly I had to put in a lot of time on Sunday to make up for the rest of the week!), but I did get through a decent number of activities. Again, I'll say that I'm noticing that my reading skills are advancing the most. Newspaper articles that I would've struggled with over the summer or even last semester are feeling increasingly easy for me to read. I am getting a little bit more out of my listening and video-watching as well - though of course not nearly as much as I'd like!

Finally, I wanted to share one little thing I've been doing that I've been enjoying. On Quizlet, you can choose whether to study your cards English--Luganda or Luganda--English. I have a tough time reminding myself to switch direction so that I get practice in both ways. But recently, I set my phone to the reverse setting of what I do on my computer, and so when I am doing my vocabulary work on my phone, I do things in the opposite direction. Since I use both devices pretty regularly for Quizlet, I'm getting a good amount of practice each way, and I am finding that this is really helping me learn new words. So, this is just a little pro-tip to remember to switch up the direction of your vocab work, if you don't already!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(not) The End

animal week!

nose to the grindstone